Why Instagram is the Perfect Destination for Travel Brands
As a communications agency specialising in travel PR, we naturally view Instagram – with its 500 million users – as a key platform for our communication programmes for our travel clients.
The experience of travel is one which Instagram seems made for, with hundreds of thousands of Instagram profiles providing ever-evolving and visually-led travel diaries, capturing people, places, experiences and moments in time, and inspiring audiences with tales of adventure and discovery.
In the travel sector, influencers provide a window into the world of wanderlust. We know content is king, and for a successful social campaign for our travel PR clients we need to work with Instagram royalty – those influencers with engaging and popular accounts.
The best Instagram influencers create authentic and meaningful content for targeted audiences, and the scope to work with them – from a one night stay to a full Instagram takeover – is as wide and varied as the images and videos they share.
Traditional media houses are recognising the shift in consumer behaviour and the resulting need for influencer-led content. Stylist reported 92% of consumers trust recommendations from others. Forbes acknowledged that “influencer marketing isn’t new, but it will begin to mature in 2017”.
Here are five of Wild West Comms favourite travel-inspired Instagram accounts to watch in 2017:
1) Porth Jess – Jess Siggers is a Bristol-based social media influencer, Instagram consultant and photographer. In 2015 Jess became one of Instagram’s ‘Suggested Users’ (@PorthJess) and has over 38K followers – in addition to running the Bristol Instagrammers network (IGersBristol)
2) Jeremy Jauncey is CEO and founder of Beautiful Destinations and prolific travel Instagrammer (and who we saw speak at the last World Travel Market). Beautiful Destinations houses the largest travel and lifestyle community on Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat. With more than 12 million followers, in 180 countries – it’s a daily source of travel inspiration for millions of people.
3) A Lady In London – Julie Falconer’s award-winning luxury travel and lifestyle blog covers both UK and international destinations and focuses on food and culture. Julie’s one of the top 20 travel Instagrammers with 110K followers.
4) Chaiwalla – Edward Allan Hinton quit his London office job to travel the world. 34 months in, he’s an established photographer, content consultant and world traveller with an Instagram following of 165K.
5) Hand Luggage Only – travel duo Lloyd & Yaya’s blog explores the best of world travel. Their blog houses reviews, advice, tips and expertise for UK and international travel. Their Instagram account is a travel photo dairy, with 17.5k followers, showing a snapshot of adventure.
What. A. Beach! ☀️ . . . . . . . . . . #Beach #Maldives #Sunshine #Explore #Travel #Traveler #Explorer #Traveller #Adventure #ExploreFromAbove #Landscape #Wanderlust #Travelphotography #Earthfocus #Theglobewanderer #Awesomeearth #Beautifuldestinations #Ourplanetdaily #Earthpix #Awesome_Photographers #TravelAwesome #Inspiredbyyou #Instagoodmyphoto #Bestvacations #Lovetheworld #Wonderful_Places #Discoverglobe #Beautifulplaces #Lonelyplanet #Earthofficial
Words: Aimee Rowe-Best
Account Manager at Wild West Comms
Follow us on LinkedIn for the latest PR and digital insights
Also check out more Wild West insights and news below: